Sunday, June 23rd
Welcome to our Worship at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings at the corner of 20th and Raton. No God's House as it is Communion Sunday so children will stay for Worship.
Our “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” worship series continues this Sunday with, “My Neighbor, the Stranger” from Genesis 18 and Hebrews 13. Alyssa Mackey sings, “All Are Welcome,” and we’ll celebrate the Lord’s Supper as we gather round the table as neighbors and friends. All are Welcome! Bring a friend!
Mid Week Messenger June 19
5 Things to Know This Week @ First Pres
1 Congregational meeting postponed!
We’ve postponed the congregational meeting to June 30 to give the Nominating Team a little more time to do their work. Please plan on staying after worship on Sunday, June 30, to affirm our new bylaws, elect some new elders, meet the volunteer ministry staff, review the new Guiding Principles, and celebrate our 2019 faith goals.
2 The stranger
Our “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” worship series continues this Sunday with, “My Neighbor, the Stranger” from Genesis 18 and Hebrews 13. Alyssa Mackey sings, “All Are Welcome,” and we’ll celebrate the Lord’s Supper as we gather round the table as neighbors and friends.
3 About the donuts
We love that you’re loving the donuts! However, can we make a few requests? •Pitch in a little money for the donuts if you can. Daylight Donuts is charging us $32/week for 3 dozen donuts plus Saturday delivery. You do the math. •Consider limiting yourself to one donut before worship. After worship, if there are leftovers, have at it, but please practice a little restraint before 10 so that as many people as possible can enjoy a mid-morning snack. •Finally, if you’re going to take a drink into the sanctuary (including water), please put a lid on your cup. Lids and straws are on the table for you to use.
4 We need you!
Our fabulous VBS happens July 10-13 (Wednesday through Saturday), 6:30 t0 8:30 p.m. This is our chance to reach out to families in La Junta and the larger community with Christ’s love. It can’t happen, though, without the generous time only you can give to volunteer. Please see Arah Minck just as soon as possible if you wish to be a part of this amazing ministry.
5 Help Wanted
We’re hoping to hire a (very) part-time bookkeeper to begin upon Kathy Parker’s retirement at the end of June. We’re able to offer a small salary for approximately 10-12 hours/month. Job descriptions and salary information are available on the Information Table in the narthex or from the Church Office.
Sunday, June 16th
Welcome to our Worship at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings at the corner of 20th and Raton. God's House, our children's Sunday School, meets after the children's message in Worship.
We begin a new series, “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” with the message, “My Neighbor from the Wrong Side of the Tracks,” from John 4:1-26 with special music "Nearer, My God, To Thee," from the quartet of Matt Beard, Dean Rees, Kenny Root, and Jeff Warren. All are invited! Bring a friend!
Mid Week Messenger June 12
5 Things to Know This Week @ First Pres
1 Sunday, June 16th, Father’s Day
Our “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” series begins with special visit from Mr. Rogers as we celebrate Father’s Day by welcoming back Pastor MJ and family. The message will be, “My Neighbor from the Wrong Side of the Tracks,” from John 4:1-26 with “Nearer, My God, To Thee” from our quartet of Matt Beard, Dean Rees, Kenny Root, and Jeff Warren.
First Presbyterian Church Vacation Bible School with the theme of “Splash Canyon” will be held July 10-13 (Wednesday through Saturday from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Online registration is available at http://www.VBSMate.com/FirstPres or on the church website. Volunteers are needed. Please contact Arah Minck or leave a message in the Church Office if you would like to help.
3 Congregational meeting
Mark your calendars for Sunday, June 23, when we gather for our next huge step in fulfilling the Healthy Church prescriptions we adopted last October during our consultation with Paul Borden. On that day, we’ll ask the congregation to vote to approve new by-laws, elect new elders, welcome volunteer staff, receive a new Guiding Principles document, and celebrate our 2019 faith goals.
4 Blessings to our summer campers
Charly, Emma, Keira, Jasmyne, David, and Wyatt are at Ponderosa Summer Camp this week. May they have a faith filled fun week.
5 Church directory
We would like to publish a new church directory in July. If you wish to submit a new picture, please send or bring to the church office as soon as possible. Also if you have had a change of address, a new email address, a new cell phone or telephone number, etc., please let us know in the church office.
Church Secretary Job Opening
The position of Church Secretary will be open as of July 1, 2019. The hours are 8:30 a.m. to noon Monday through Thursday. Contact the Church Office or Colorado Workforce for more information. A job description is attached below.
Youth Ministry Coordinator--Volunteer Position
Please contact Pastor MJ if you are interested in this position.
Volunteer Staff Position
Youth Ministry Coordinator
- Identify and recruit adult volunteers for the middle school, high school, and confirmation programs of the church, including the annual high school mission trip.
- Provide training to adult volunteers in youth ministry practices and skills. Training will include training in the abuse prevention policies of this church.
- Identify outside training opportunities and recommend these opportunities to youth leaders as necessary and appropriate.
- Engage in his/her own ongoing training in practices and skills.
- Convene quarterly youth ministry leadership meetings, for the purpose of planning, scheduling, mutual encouragement, and prayer.
- Keep a master calendar of youth events, to insure that no scheduling conflicts occur. Provide the Church Secretary with a monthly calendar, as well as any changes, for inclusion in the bulletin and Mid Week Messenger.
- Complete administrative jobs in support of youth ministry activities, including, but not limited to, registrations, correspondence, and payment for services.
- Maintain appropriate social media accounts to reach youth and their parents.
- Prepare and present an annual budget to the Finance Team and Session.
- Set goals within each ministry to ensure that every ministry is involved in evangelism to the unchurched.
- Invite 2 people to church and have one evangelistic conversation each quarter.
- Attend monthly staff meetings.
- Adhere to the Polity and Essential Tenets of Theology of ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians.
Download PDF for this Position
The Messenger September 2018
Click on the Link below to download The Messenger Newsletter for September 2018